According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, nearly 13 million children under the age of 18 have a chronic condition or disability. In fact, 20 % of our population have a form of special need that makes it difficult to receive the dental care they need and deserve. Luckily, Sleep Dentists offers special needs dentistry in Fort Lauderdale for often-overlooked patients. Unlike many of the health conditions that patients with special needs face, dental disease is preventable. We are here to help your loved ones keep their teeth and gums healthy for years to come.
We Accept All Patients, Disabilities Aren’t a Determining Factor
Sometimes, depending on the patient’s disability, a patient may be more susceptible to dental issues because of their medical treatments. People with special needs deserve excellent, comfortable dental health more than ever. Sleep Dentists understands that nevertheless, good dental care is essential. We accept all patients in our office including patients with:
- Parkinson’s disease
- Down Syndrome
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Cerebral Palsy
- Mentally or Medically Compromised
- Other Disabilities
Tips for Taking a Special Needs Patient to the Dentist
Our dental professionals understand that in some cases, patients with special needs are sensitive to new environments and changes in their schedule. We hope these tips will help you make your disabled loved one’s trip to the dentist run much more smoothly.
- Inform them about the dentist. Let them know we are here to help them obtain pretty, healthy smiles.
- Make their appointments during a calm time in the day, when they might feel the most comfortable receiving a treatment.
- You’re invited to stay in the treatment room while your loved one receives their dental work.
- We offer oral sedation as a light calming aid for nervous dental patients with special needs.
- We offer conscious sedation (administered through IV) for special needs patients that may be nervous and fidgety during their dental work.
- We offer general anesthesia for special needs patients that may need a deeper form of relaxation during their dental appointment or if they need excessive dental work to be completed.
Sedation Dentistry and Special Needs
Sleep Dentistry can help calm and control a patient’s disability with the help of a sedation dentist in Fort Lauderdale. Either form of sedation—whether it be orally administered, through IV, or general anesthesia—offer great benefits for both your loved one and the dentist. Sedation dentistry is the most effective method of stabilizing disabled patients. Not only will they be able to receive the dental work they truly need, but they can do so comfortably and anxiety-free.
Visit Sleep Dentists
If your loved one has a disability that keeps you from arranging necessary health appointments, consider visiting our Fort Lauderdale office. Our dental professionals are highly qualified sleep and sedation experts that can help make your dental appointments run smoothly. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.